Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I've resurrected this blog to speak on more of my thoughts and views on things that other people might find boring. No one knows I'm doing it but Cait, so if anyone comments before I make an announcement, I promise to write a post here praising you publicly once this blog really takes off. For my first post, I'll just comment on a news story, which I think a fair amount of my writing will do.

BBC's refusal to air an ad from the Disasters Emergency Committee asking for financial aid for the people of Gaza and the subsequent row about it seem to have actually raised more awareness about the Charity than would have happened if the BBC would have just gone ahead and aired the ad. I wouldn't say that this was their purpose, but they don't seem to mind talking about it, dedicating the entirety of World Have Your Say to the subject.

For the record I don't have any problem with the BBC not airing the ad. I think that the BBC is one of the few news sources that I view as having the most fair and balanced reporting there is, and they do that by holding impartiality as a high goal. They've taken a lot of heat on this, and they've stood firm. I appreciate that. I'm convinced that they don't have a pro-Israel agenda, and they aren't doing this to hurt Gaza, but to keep their strength to help Gaza, which is that their reporting on the situation is honest and unbiased, allowing citizens to make informed choices about whom to support.

3 comments:

Maggie Mae said...

You should resurrect it again.

Gordon said...

I second Maggie. And you owe her (and me, I think) some public praise.

Unknown said...

That's true guys. I'll work on that.