Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Place and time


The ability of a specific time and place to generate certain feelings can often be really amazing to me. The prime example, is of course Christmas. Not only does the Christmas season hold so many pleasant memories for me as to make it the most highly awaited time of year, except perhaps for summer after a long winter, I have also found that I can recreate the feelings of the season almost at whim just by listening to music or reading a Christmas themed story.

Is it possible to infuse that much meaning into the rest of the year? That much feeling and that much joy. I’ve found that if I stop and observe for just a few moments, I can always find something in the way the sky looks or the way the breeze smells that will recall to me a pleasant time or will put me in a pleasant mood.

It does seem that nature is the best place for me to really find that special feeling. Nature is never static and always offers a new face to contemplate and with which to converse. Perhaps, if I work hard, I can also turn inward to find a new me every day that recalls other “me”s and brings back similar pleasant memories.

No comments: